I found these on craigslist for $30 each, they are $150 brand new. The ad said they were distressed. :) They were in bad condition. Paint was chipping off all over, it looked like the wood was rotting and there was even green moss on one of the arms.
|AFTER: Still drying with cardboard underneath. I can't wait to put the pillows on them!|
|BEFORE: My husband brought these home for me and I couldn't see how bad they were in the pictures from the ad. I have to admit I was nervous if I had just bought something I couldn't salvage.|
|AFTER: But look at them now! So much better!|
|BEFORE: As I sanded them down I noticed that one chair was painted white underneath|
and the other was a dark green.
|AFTER: Now they are just a beautiful black!|
Here are some pictures of the process. It took me a few weeks to get together. That first day of sanding I was in a hurry and didn't put them up on a table so all of the bending over trying to reach every angle I ruined my shoulder and neck. And of course then there is the busy life with kids and obligations so they sat on my front porch for a while half sanded down. :) Our neighbors were gracious not to comment on the eye sore I had in front of our house.
|Mostly sanded down|
|I used a grey primer coat. This took longer to apply than the final coats of black.|
I really enjoyed working on these in my peaceful backyard. My husband got all of the kids ready for bed while I listened to soft music and covered my arms in paint while trying to reach all of the different angles. It had been way too long since I did a project like this and oh how I missed it.