Thursday, February 28, 2013

A village of therapists.



I have had a few moments over the last few months when I have been able to see how much the therapists that help my kids are huge blessings. So often it is easy to feel bombarded with the schedule and the work and then the homework for afterward. But once in a while, in the midst of the routine realize how thankful I am for each of these people. Here are just a few tidbits, for what they are worth, of reminders that I am not alone in my parenting.



Leaving Katie's sensory therapy appointment I felt so encouraged. After a quick conversation on our way out the door, I am touched by the words her OT Therapist spoke. We have both been surprised to see Katie and her progress. Her OT lady melted my heart when she told me what a good job I was doing and how much progress she had made since being back in my home. It really is those little words that help get us through the hard times and help us keep going.  Driving home I really reflected on how far we have come. There was a point about 2 years ago when I was in tears at a physicians office begging for answers, for help. I was at the end of my rope and felt like I was failing Katie. I had tried everything. We had so much stress in our home and I didn't know what to do. I am amazed at how many doctors just let me leave with no offer of help or advice.

Just the other day I had been really struggling with the anger that came from my youngest. He is only 1 and a half years old and has had the power to make me forget all of my parenting tools before. I found myself feeling like I didn't know what to do. I had tried it all and nothing was working. I felt like I was failing him and my family. Robert always gets comments for being the happiest little boy. And he is. But those moments of frustration send him through the roof. There is no middle, he goes from 1-10 in a matter of seconds. I confessed my frustrations to one of our therapists that makes home visits. I was so thankful for her supporting words and advice. She reminded me that it isn't the parenting styles but rather this behavior is a result of how his body was wired as a result of his his birth and exposure in the womb. She gave me some new techniques to try and I felt such relief.

The PT that comes to our house has been working with my 3 little kids most of their life. He has seen my on our bad days and good days. He knows them and there is comfort in that. I don't have to explain their behavior to someone new each time. Sometimes just watching him play with them gives me inspiration to try something new when I feel like I have been in a rut. There have been a handful of visits when I hear the most simple instruction or advice and yet I have had my head so buried in the busy schedule that I overlooked it.

These therapists have become our family. So often I joke that I see them more than my friends. We are busy with appointments right now but the reality is that we need them. The kids need this help to get them going, that jump start on an already hard life.

On days when I feel like I am doubting myself as a parent I love that I can word vomit on these people and they will support me in a way that I didn't know I needed.

So, Thank You to all of the people who have spent their time helping my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment